Baked Cabbage Casserole Recipe
Cabbage has to be not one of the most popular choices in my household. But this is really good stuff for you. This recipe has a few different colours, which I am a massive fan of. Plus, once the preparation is done, it is essentially an ‘oven dish’. I love oven dishes. Nothing better than coming home on a Monday after a busy start to the week knowing that this was prepared yesterday. And now it’s ready to go in the oven on Monday night. It just starts the week off right in our house to have an ‘oven dish’ ready.
Cabbage is part of the cruciferous vegetable family. It’s great to try to get these types of vegetables into your weekly meal plan. In a nutshell this vege is packed with vitamins K, C and B. Plus it’s also a great source of manganese and fibre. That will keep you regular!
Serves: 4 Prep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 kg (roughly equivalent to 1 medium head) mixed cabbage, blanched and roughly chopped
- 700 g beef mince
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 190 Celsius.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and brown the beef mince.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 8 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce and stir well.
- Season to taste and add the chopped parsley.
- Add the cauliflower, lemon juice and chopped cabbage. Cook over a medium to low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.