Beef and Broccoli Stir fry Recipe
Do you need an easy mid-week meal? This one takes a little prep in the chopping and organising but there’s nothing complicated about this meal. Beef provides zinc, iron, protein and B vitamins to name a few goodies. Broccoli is packed with dietary fibre, manganese and vitamins. This green vegetable is a must in a family household. You can mix and match the vegetables to suit what you have at home, just like any stir fry. Enjoy!
Serves: 4 Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 450 g boneless round steak, cut into 5 cm strips
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup of water
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- sea salt and freshly black pepper
Optional extra: 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds.
Ingredients for the sautéed Brussels sprouts
- 700 g Brussels sprouts
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Heat the olive oil for the Brussels sprouts in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until golden, for about 3 minutes
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the garlic, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until soft (about 15 minutes), tossing them around once in while. Remove the Brussels sprouts and set aside.
- Warm the coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet over a medium heat, and stirfry the steak strips until well cooked, about 6 minutes. Remove the steak from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, cook the onions, broccoli, and red capsicum until the broccoli is soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Return the steak to the skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, ground ginger and minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add this mixture to the pan. Cook everything for 2 to 3 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Reheat the Brussels sprouts.
- Serve the stir-fry on top of the sautéed Brussels sprouts.
Hint: sprinkle with sesame seeds at the end for extra goodness.