Eggplant Cannelloni Recipe
Serves: 4 Prep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 450 g beef or veal mince
- 2 eggplants, cut in slices, lengthwise
- 4 shallots, peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 C.
- In a large frypan over a medium heat, warm 1 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the minced beef or veal with half the shallots, half the garlic, the rosemary and the oregano. Cook until the meat is evenly browned. Season to taste, and set aside.
- In a saucepan placed over a medium-low heat, warm 1 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the remaining shallots and garlic until the shallots are soft.
- Add the tomato sauce to the shallot and garlic mix, combine well and let simmer for 10 to15 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, place the eggplant slices on a roasting pan and coat with olive oil on each side. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, then let cool for 5 minutes.
- Once the eggplant slices are cool, place the meat mixture at the edge of each slice of eggplant and roll the eggplant around the meat. Place the cannelloni in a roasting pot, and cover with the tomato sauce.
- Place in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy.