Editor, B.A. Applied Sci (Physiotherapist)
Right work-life balance
I am a big believer in life balance or as I sometimes say, life ‘blend’. Some say ‘you can’t have it all’ and some say you can but just not all at once. Now, with the experience of working and being a parent firmly under my belt for the past 10 years I can honestly say that there has to be a balance, and at the same time. Well, actually it may be more of a ‘blend’ because ‘balance’ indicates that everything has to be 50/50 in your life.
However you want to look at it, life is too short to let goals pass you by, to let time pass you by. That’s not to say that if you want to do things one thing at a time that you can’t. Of course you can. But for those struggling with the guilt of trying to ‘have it all’ know that this much is true.
To be happy you need the four ‘Ps’ – purpose, passion, practice and persistence. You need to get up every day knowing what your purpose for the day is and be extremely passionate about it. It should be what gets you up every day and keeps you ticking late at night if need be. That may be family, children, work, friends or a myriad of other commitments. Guess what? You probably need them all for happiness! You may just need to find a balance that suits you.
Tips for finding the right blend:
- Ask yourself if you are spending too much time, or any time, doing something you really don’t enjoy.
- Remember that just because you enjoy something doesn’t mean that doing it 40 hours per week will keep you happy, including playing play-do with your kids.
- Get your finances sorted ASAP so you are not bound to a job you hate.
- Ask yourself what you would do today if you had no obstacles at all.
- Always have holidays planned and booked well in advance. Once they are booked you will have to find a way to get there. You wont pull out.
- Exercise every day. That way you don’t have to think about whether today is an exercise day.
- See your friends regularly. Cut the ones that drag you down and don’t ask you any questions about your life. They might be the good ‘sticky beak’ friend on FB who never contacts you or asks how you are but is following your every move on social media!
- Find your purpose, live your passion, practice your product and persist at achieving your goals.
Have an awesome weekend!