Hearty Beef Stew Recipe
A hearty stew is just what’s called for to warm up the family on a cold winter’s night. I love this recipe because it’s so versatile. If you’re missing any of the ingredients it’s easy to replace them with other yummy options you have in the fridge. I’ve been known to replace the carrot with sweet potato from time-to-time and that works pretty nicely! Beef is packed with protein and iron so this dish, along with all the awesome vegies, is an awesome way to get goodness into your family in one pot.
The secret in getting the ‘yum’ into this one is to allow the time for it to cook nicely. The great news is though that the preparation time is minimal. That’s a winner for a busy family! If you’re needing some meal prep tips be sure to check out my tips in my book The Fit Busy Mum: Seven habits for success now available in all good book stores!
Serves: 4 Prep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hr 50 min.
- 450 g stewing beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional)
- 2 x 400 g tins of diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, if using, as well as the olive oil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beef to the saucepan, followed by the tomatoes, beef stock, rosemary and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover the saucepan and cook for about one hour, allowing the stew to simmer. Stir a few times during the cooking process.
- Remove the lid and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes. If the mixture is too thick at the end of the cooking process, you can add a little bit of water or stock.