How to Get Fit: 5 Tips to Getting Started
By Rosemary Marchese
Editor, B.A. Applied Sci (Physiotherapist)
Not exercising becomes a habit, just like brushing your teeth. And the more you don’t exercise the more unfit you become and the harder it is to get back into it. If you were an unfit kid and are now an unfit adult, I won’t kid you; it’s going to take a little planning and commitment. You may be looking for ‘motivation’. Don’t bother. You just have to do it. You need to make it a habit. If you’re not committed, then you might want to stop reading.
If you get to this point then you have most likely decided that yes, you want to exercise. You want to fit into a smaller size of jeans and you want to feel good about body! It doesn’t have to be bikini body, and no you don’t have to, in fact, you mustn’t starve yourself!
Here are my five tips to get your started:
- Set aside 30 minutes every morning (within the first two hours of waking up) to do your training sessions. You won’t ‘find’ any more motivation later in the day. Make sure your clothes are laid out beside your bed the day before so you don’t have to finding your clothes. Yes, every day! That way you make it a habit, just like brushing your hair.
- Make sure your program is just right for you. Not too hard and not too easy. Too hard makes it easier to get injured and you are more likely to quit. Too easy and you won’t get results. You need a program that gives you at least some results within 4 weeks (aim high, but don’t be unrealistic).
- Eat! Starving yourself will make you lose weight but it will be the WRONG WEIGHT! You will be losing muscle rather than fat and that stuffs up your metabolism. So, when you go back to eating crap or more kilojoules (which is inevitable when you starve yourself) you will pack on the kilos really quickly. Eat three meals per day that include a good mix of protein, fat (yes, fat) and carbohydrates (yes, include some of these). Only snack if you are hungry. I recommend a very small portion of nuts or a small piece of fruit.
- Move around regularly through the day. This will push results even more quickly so you will get a kick of satisfaction. We like results!
- Exercise to music and/or find a partner to train with at least once per week. Be accountable!
By now you may be thinking ‘yeah sure, she tries to make it all sound so easy’ but I can’t do the training for you. It’s your life. You need to be accountable. If the goal seems to far away stop thinking about that. Think about the habit you need to create. Daily exercise. Being grateful for the body you have and the one chance in life to use it. So just show up to training. Once you are there you will find that the motivation may come.
Something is better than nothing!