By Dan Jeffs
Personal Trainer/Accredited Exercise Physiologist/Exercise and Sport Science Australia full member
Let’s be honest, having a booty is back in a big way!
But, finding the time to work your BUTT can be really difficult. Check out this super simple workout that is going to give you an amazing backside, just in time for summer.
No matter what your current exercise regimen includes – Pilates, running, walking or just the occasional Zumba class – adding the program outlined below 1 to 2 times a week (3 for those of us extremely motivated) will really kick start your results and have your confidence skyrocket.
Stack these exercises back-to-back in a quick, high-intensity circuit to keep your time commitment to an absolute minimum. Performing exercise in this fashion is not only the best way to get you back into your everyday life faster, but also sends the amount of calories we can torch in half an hour through the roof.
An ongoing benefit
Targeting the big muscles of the leg and hip is the easiest way to keep your metabolism firing for hours after your workout. We’re really cheating now – losing weight while you sleep!
Exercises: 10 of each (for as many rounds as you can manage in 30 minutes)
- Lay flat on your back with heels tucked closer to your hips than in the classic ‘sit-up’ position (see image)
- Tighten your core and glutes (your backside) and press your heels into the ground
- Lift your hips. Go only as far as your glutes will allow and if you feel any tightness in your lower back, stop, reset and re-attempt with a reduced range of motion
- Hold at the top for 5 seconds
- Gently lower your backside to the floor.
- Stand up, sit down!
- For beginners, make sure there is a chair or footrest behind you to keep from tipping back on your way down
- Press hard through the heels and make sure you have a tight backside at the top of the movement.
- Take a good stride forward with one leg and bring your back foot up onto the toe.
- Leaning slightly forwards from the hips to place more weight on your front foot, lower yourself bending both knees.
- Press hard into the heel of the front foot to return you to the starting position.
Hint: This is a good exercise to do in front of the mirror to help you keep your balance!
- Step one foot onto a secure box, chair or park bench and lean forward to almost mimic the bottom position of the lunge.
- Pressing into the heel of your front foot on the box, pull yourself up and onto the box, standing tall at the top.
- Slowly lower yourself back down
- Repeat, alternating the leg that is stepping up.
Really fast walking (or jogging)
Take a quick break from your resistance training but keep your heat rate up! This can be done outside, up a hill, on a treadmill, substituted for a stationary bike – whatever! Adding the incline (up a hill or set of stairs) will give you a stronger butt workout!
- Simply move for 3 minutes.
- Keep your effort at about a 7-8 out of 10 to start shifting those kilos!
You made it. Start again.!
This is where the competitor really comes out. Make sure you record how many rounds you were able to complete in your 30 Minute Butt Workout and aim to improve this number fortnightly.
To be noted: we just blasted your legs and backside. So a little bit of tightness and soreness is to be expected. Keep moving the next day (either a lower-intensity walk or swim) to make sure this disappears ASAP.
P.S Warm up! It’s important. Get your body ready to work out by performing a 5 to 10 minute vigorous walk or bike ride before you start the good stuff.